Saturday, September 19, 2009

Theme For A1 Higher English

Kate Levy said,

"Go home and write
a pastiche tonight.
And let that poem come out of you--
Then, it will be true."

Other students might find this simple,
But to others like me, imagination is not so ample.
Teachers take it that we understand
And at times I feel they just command.
Do they really want us to practice our writing skills?
Or are they just targeting us for their kills?
But still, my teacher gave this to me
So I shall sit here and dive into my mind’s poetic alley

So is it too much to hope
Or is it in the dark I grope?
A world free of prejudice
And eventually spare us the malice
My parents often say, “don’t mingle with
Those white friends and keep a width”.
It’s “freedom, equality and brotherhood” that we promote
But it’s just Johnson Bunche that I quote.
I am the product of my heritage
But I never consider it as bondage.
Nothing can hide the truth about my roots
‘Cause it’s as obvious as my yellow rain boots.
A yellow that matches my skin.

With high education and costly dressings,
Fellow yellows make opulent surroundings.
I watch those crystal diamonds shimmer
And snigger when they don’t have their glamour.
What we are we cannot hide.
It is only to themselves that they have lied.

If we look at this wider picture,
Aren’t we all one another’s brother?
You and I live in a multi racial country, Levy,
Yet I feel that attitudes thrown at me are empty.
How is it that people still feel that way in this new age?
And before I fill this page,
This I say as my final wish:
This country should stop pretending to be Amish.

This is my page for A1 Higher English.






Adapted from Langston Hughe's "Theme For English B". This was written for an English assignment :P

No comments: